Pages: « 1 »

eccles
Silver washed fritillary. A puzzle
Date: Aug 12, 2008 12:07:26 PM PDT
Author: eccles

Hi all.
I wonder if anyone can help me with a puzzle, please? For the last three years, a single male silver washed fritillary has appeared at the Willsbridge Valley AWT reserve. I have never seen a female there so a breeding population most likely doesn't exist, which means these odd males are vagrants. I have searched the woods around Hanham without success and I have no idea where they are coming from. Do you know if this species exists in the wooded areas of Cock Road, or any other wild area nearby?
Cheers,
Mike.

admin
Silver washed fritillary. A puzzle
Date: Feb 12, 2009 8:14:09 AM PST
Author: admin

Originally Posted by eccles:
Hi all.
I wonder if anyone can help me with a puzzle, please? For the last three years, a single male silver washed fritillary has appeared at the Willsbridge Valley AWT reserve. I have never seen a female there so a breeding population most likely doesn't exist, which means these odd males are vagrants. I have searched the woods around Hanham without success and I have no idea where they are coming from. Do you know if this species exists in the wooded areas of Cock Road, or any other wild area nearby?
Cheers,
Mike.

It's a late reply, but I think the answer is that no, I don't believe this butterfly has ever appeared on the Ridge. I generally watch for butterflies throughout the summer and know most of its butterfly visitors. I've never yet seen anything that resembles a fritillary of any description - more's the pity.

Search Web

Google

Search Forum

Forum Tags

There are no tags at this time.